Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Don’t underrate me dad!

We sometimes underestimate our kids. My 9-year old son, Atharva came to me and asked for the tool kit. He has the habit to make experiment mechanics on his toy cars. He also makes something hybrid instruments, designs from existing toys and broken material. His room is full of material which I would have thrown.
“What will you do with this, another experiment? Ok. जे करायचे ते कर, पण पसारा मांडायचा नाही. (do whatsoever you want to do but dont mess up) His mom  
“I want it for fixing the lock of balcony door. It got jammed.” He replied.
“How will you repair the lock?” I asked “Let me do that” He fully ignored me and grabbed the toolkit from me.
He took the toolkit, adjusted the screwdriver, and unscrewed the lock from the door. He got the spring which was malfunctioned. He observed the whole lock and tried to fix it.
“Give it to me. I will fix for you.” I just took it from him.
I tried it unsuccessfully. He was trying to guide me through the whole process. But I could not do it.
He grabbed the kit once again angrily and fixed the spring at appropriate place, fixed the lock on door successfully.
“See you were underrating the kid. He did that.” Mom
“I know. There is always logic in mechanics. You have to place appropriate component at appropriate place and try.” He replied.
“And second thing, you should not underestimate him anymore.” My wife 
“I am sorry, I failed to understand you.” I raised my hands.

This is a typical example, how we deal with children at home and juniors/subordinates at office. Atharva has taken an initiative to fix the lock. Then he, himself fixed it. He was not expecting any help from me. He expected only the availability of tool. He knew that he would fix the problem. I would have just observed him and offer him support when he needed.       

In corporate environment, typical managers ask the people to take initiative and then they have reservations on their capabilities.

I learned a lesson. Don’t undermine the capabilities of the people, neither of your kids nor of junior. Second if they come with some initiatives and solutions, trust on their capabilities and offer support only when they needed. Observe their performance what they are doing. I could not fix the problem. Imagine if you step in the job your junior doing and you end up by not resolving the issue. 

I am sharing what 'I Saw and I Learnt' at BlogAdda.com in association with DoRight.in.

3 comments:

Bhaskar Thirugnanam T said...

very good lesson

Anonymous said...

Hello friend,

Interestingly I conduct creative ideas & bran torming sessions for students of age 12 now ( since 2009) & I allow them to work on may academics & social issues. They are better than professionals because of their underestimated capabilities & competencies.

warm Regards,

Shashi Magdum 989090638

Raj said...

Really gud article...Truly said down the line people require support of senior management & timely appreciation which inspires them to achieve higher goals.As your story narrated that you were their with your child to understand his efforts to rectify the lock which make him feel really special,similarily while appreciating your people you need to understand the entire process & efforts put on it.
Rajiv Bharatwal

You may also like these.. please read